The competition for the student’s prize for 2021 is now open !
Submit your Candidacy now :
Click here to download the short Info-Flyer
Deadline for submissions: 30 November 2020
Full Prize Regulations : as of February 2020
Contact email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Establishment and aim
In 2015, Euro-ISME’s Board of Directors decided to establish an annual prize for the best thesis on military ethics.
The aims of the prize are:
- to promote an active involvement in the study & application of military ethics,human rights and humanitarian law in a pro-active manner, thus promoting a dialogue on common European values;
- to promote participation at Euro-ISME annual conferences by military academies and civilian universities;
- to promote Euro-ISME as relevant player in the field of military ethics;
- to publish the winning theses as a cahier (paper copy) and on line (open access) in two / three European languages.
The target groups consists mainly of: European military officers and students who have written their thesis in pursuit of an Academic Master Degree, and discuss the topic of one of Euro-ISME’s annual conferences.
In civilian terms, this will be a thesis at the level of an Academic Master. The target group of military officers who write a thesis is pertinent, since it consists of those, who will be Europe’s military commanders in the very near future, and who will have to demonstrate honourable behaviour on the battlefield.
We do not formally limit participation to military officers – it may well be that a civilian student may also write an appropriate paper. At this initial stage however, we prioritise the enlistment of European military academies in the prize.
The jury will consist of seven European experts in the field of military ethics, offering a combination of field experience (the practitioner’s perspective) and the academia (the theoretical perspective). No nation will be represented more than once within the jury, in order to ensure geographical distribution. The chair is held by Colonel Rev. Prof.Dr. P.J. McCormack, MBE, Assistant Chaplain General of the British Armed Forces.
- Colonel Rev. Prof. Dr. P.J. McCormack, MBE, (chairman, United Kingdom)
- Brigadier General (ret.) Benoît Royal (France)
- Dr. Veronika Bock (Germany)
- Mil Superior MMag. Stefan Gugerel (Austria)
- Dr. Asta Maskaliūnaitė (Estonia)
- Prof. Dr. Desiree Verweij (The Netherlands)
Ms. Ivana Gošić (Serbia, Secretary)
Experts of the jury for the German and French languages:
- Dr. Florian Demont (Switzerland, German language);
- Col. Reinhold Janke (Germany, German language);
- Pasteur Olivier Risnes (France, French language);
- Eric Germain PhD (France, French language).
Regulations and more information – Downloads
- Download the full regulations of the Euro-ISME Prize (Edition 2021) for the Best MA Thesis on Military Ethics
- Download the template to submit your proposal (EN) for the Edition 2021
The prize 2019 was supported financially by the Institut für Religion und Frieden and Brill Nijhoff.